Now that the holiday season is in full swing, most people will find their to-do list rapidly growing by leaps and bounds, as there is shopping to do, decorating to finish, cards to mail and, of course, social engagements to attend.
From family gatherings to work parties, it goes without saying that one of the staples of these holiday-themed get-togethers is alcohol. While there is certainly nothing wrong with this, it can become problematic if people overindulge, or even consume just one beer, glass of wine or cocktail too many before getting behind the wheel.
For those who harbor any doubts about alcohol being such a prominent feature at holiday parties and its accompanying risk of driving under the influence, consider the following statistics compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- 40 percent of people surveyed stated that friends and family use the holidays as a justification for drinking
- 57 percent of people surveyed have seen partygoers drive under the influence
- 60 percent of people surveyed believe that alcohol makes parties more fun
- 96 percent of people surveyed either went to work or knew someone who went to work with a hangover following a party
By way of further illustration, consider the following data compiled by the NHTSA concerning the percent jump in DUI violations over the holidays among those people subject to alcohol monitoring via Scram Cams due to prior convictions:
- A 30 percent increase in DUI violations over the Thanksgiving holiday
- A 33 percent increase in DUI violations over the Christmas holiday
- A 155 percent increase in DUI violations over the New Year's Eve holiday
What all of this should serve to underscore is that law enforcement officials are more than aware of the reality that people consume more alcohol over the holidays and, as such, they will be hitting the roads in greater numbers over the coming weeks looking to make DUI arrests.
Accordingly, those planning to imbibe at a holiday gathering will want to ensure that they have the necessary arrangements in place whether it's securing a taxi or a ride home from a designated driver.
Please remember, however, that in the event you do find yourself facing drunk driving charges, it's absolutely imperative to consider speaking with an experienced legal professional as soon as possible.